Monday, March 4, 2013

Juju's Crockpot Rye Corned Beef and Cabbage


Time for ANOTHER crockpot recipe!

I pretty much use my crockpot 3 times a week nowadays, but I have come to the point that I am experimenting. I am pretty sure this is one of my fortes, only because I am not afraid to try interesting things (which most of the time comes out to be yummy!). I can remember coming up with this one recipe using boneless pork chops when I was in college (I am sure I made my roommates try a bazillion different weird recipes!). One day I made it back at my parents' house. One of the ingredients was brown sugar, and instead of adding what I thought was brown sugar, I accidentally added cocoa powder! As soon as I added it, I KNEW I had added the wrong ingredient. I thought about trying to scoop out all the powder that had piled up on top of the chops, but I thought... now that may actually taste good...! I went with it, and it was actually fantastic!!

Side story over... sorry about my ramblings.

Another reason why I have been making so many crockpot recipes, is that I was inspired by a blog that I read called Peanut Butter Fingers. I found this blog on Pinterest, because this girl posts her outfits and where she buys all her cute clothes! Since I am in DESPERATE need of fashion advice, I started reading her posts on a daily basis. I love that she also posts recipes and workouts (and she also has a dog named Sadie that is the exact color of my Sadie). She started a Crockpot Challenge Month with other bloggers by making crockpot recipes through the month and posting the best recipes. I actually made her Crockpot Curried Lentils and it was DELISH! If you want to check out her recipes that she made during the challenge along with a list of the blogs that participated in the challenge, you can click here. 

Anyways, one thing I now LOVE to make (mainly because I love to eat it, thanks to my friend C.C. who I don't want to name for privacy sake) is corned beef and cabbage! It is SO good with so many different spices and tastes, and it is perfect for cold, winter nights!

When I first had it when she deliciously made it, she had a pretty complicated (in my opinion) recipe. She put all her spices in cheese cloth and all sorts of fancy things! 

Once we ate her DELICIOUS dinner she had made, I went home thinking, "I HAVE to make that myself!" 

So, just in time for St. Patty's Day, here is a super easy, tasty version of my crockpot corned beef!

Juju's Crockpot Rye Corned Beef and Cabbage

What you will need:
A crockpot... and a liner if you so desire

Ingredients:
1 slab of corned beef (choose your size)
Packet insert*
1/2 cup rye whiskey
1/2 head of cabbage
1 yellow onion
2 cups vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste

*Every packaged corned beef I have ever bought at the grocery store has had a packet of spices that comes inside the package with the meat. I just use that packet for spicing and it works well and it is easy!

Directions:
1. Get out that bad boy crockpot! Line it if you don't want to build some muscles later.
2. Open your package of corned beef and throw it in the pot. Make sure you put the package insert of spices to the side. We will open those and use them in a minute.
3. Cut up your onion. I quickly slice it up because I am lazy and don't want to dice it.
4. Cut up your cabbage. You can use the whole head if you want to. I chop it into big chunks. It will cook, so don't worry about them being too big.
5. Add your broth/stock and whiskey to the pot.
6. Add your spices. Just throw 'em in there!
7. Add the onion and then the cabbage. 
8. Season with salt and pepper now, or add it at the end (remember, corned beef is already salty, so add it a little at a time to taste).
9. Turn on your crockpot, put a lid on it, and cook for 8 hours on low.
10. EAT IT UP











2 comments:

  1. Juju I got hungry just looking at your finished product. Next time I go to grocery store, I'm getting all the ingredients. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I hope you do and that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete